Friday, February 25, 2011

so low....

Okay so obviously you know from my name that I am a Registered Nurse Alhamdulilah (All praise be to God)...and recently I got a job at a Drs. office ...definately not what I wanted to go in but for now while I look for something more 'me' and fast paced it will do........anyways...the point of the blog....
A patient came in to the clinic with her mother and her mother told me and the receptionist that her b.s was 30 last night and she was concerned...I thought wow 30...is she diabetic..which she was n't..so concerned I took her current b.s and it stood at 15.6 still very high for a non diabetic and sometimes even a diabetic...concerned for her well being I asked the Dr. to see her right away instead of making her wait through this busy Wednesday line..so he did and he had ordered some blood work and discussed the concern with her...
The following day we receive her results and the diabetes was evident....the patient returned to receive her results....a bright young girl full of life and had nothing but a smile on her face the entire time...until he delivered the news where she was broken to tears...
as she left the clinic I couldn't help but give her some words on encouragement...words I heard once spoken by Nick Jonas when he shared with the world about his Type I diabetes diagnosis..which was .."this is a manageable illness and one can live a very healthy and normal life" and to further elaborate to the patient that although this was bad news it was not the absolute worst...I reminded her that no matter what life threw at us..things could always be worse in this case I gave her an example was that it wasn't cancer..which is so much more terminal than a disease such as diabetes. ............
---Listening to the Dr. give this little girl the bad news it reminded me of why I prefer to be a nurse over a doctor any day...which is never having to diagnose a patient...the bearer of bad news Ill never have to be...even in pronouncing death or tell a loved one that there wasn't anything more we could do for their family or friend...
Anywho this was interesting event to me as as new grad I'd never really come across such a situation where a pt presented such a situation and the diagnosis process I've never been part of before..so this was a new for me and was a learning experience.....

No comments: